Re: [HOWTO?] Splitting one upstream package into several .debs

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> I have not yet uploaded my packages.  My packages are available from
> http://www.aunet.org/thaths/hacks/deb/aspell/  Would appreciate if you
> folks took a look and told me if things are OK for an upload.

I have made some progress since that.  Lintian used to complain about 6
different warnings and errors.  I have now brought this down to 3.

$ lintian -i aspell_0.26.2-1_i386.changes
W: libaspell0: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
usr/lib/libaspell.so
N:
N:   Though this package is not a `-dev' package, it installs a symbolic
N:   link referencing the corresponding shared library, where the link name
N:   does not include the version number of the shared library.
N:
N:   If there is also a `-dev' package for this shared library, this is
N:   most likely a bug. If this is a small package which includes the
N:   runtime and the development libraries, this is not a bug. In the
N:   latter case, please contact lintian-maint@debian.org about this so
N:   that this error gets included in the overrides file for Lintian. (With
N:   that, Lintian will ignore this bug in the future.)
N:

Is this something that I have to fix?  Here is a listing of what is inside
libaspell0.deb -

$ dpkg --contents libaspell0_0.26.2-1_i386.deb
usr/
usr/doc/
usr/doc/libaspell0/
usr/doc/libaspell0/copyright
usr/doc/libaspell0/changelog.Debian.gz
usr/lib/
usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
usr/lib/libaspell.la
usr/lib/libaspell.a
usr/lib/aspell/
usr/lib/aspell/ispell
usr/lib/aspell/english.wrd
usr/lib/aspell/english.sl
usr/lib/libaspell.so.0 -> libaspell.so.0.0.0
usr/lib/libaspell.so -> libaspell.so.0.0.0

How do I fix this?  And (sorry to ask a really stupid Q) why is it
libaspell.so.0.0.0 and not libaspell.so.0.26.2 ?

E: libaspell0: no-shlibs-control-file usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
N:
N:   Though the package includes a shared library, the package does not
N:   have a shlibs control file. If this is intentional, please contact
N:   lintian-maint@debian.org about this so that this error gets included
N:   in the overrides file for Lintian. (With that, Lintian will ignore
N:   this bug in the future.)
N:

I did place the following shlibs file in debian/.

$ cat debian/shlibs
libaspell0 0.26.2 libaspell0(>=0.26.2-1)

E: libaspell0: postinst-must-call-ldconfig usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
N:
N:   The package installs shared libraries in a directory controlled by
N:   `ld.so.' Therefore, the package must call `ldconfig' in its postinst
N:   script.
N:
N:   Please check out Packaging Manual, chapter 12 for details.
N:

This last one I know how to fix.

Thaths
--
Homer: Now, what do we say when we get to the ticket booth?
Bart and Lisa: We're under six.