Re: Is there a policy on `task-' packages?

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 10:40:29AM -0500, Kurt D. Starsinic wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:58:59PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> > * "Julian" == Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Julian> No policy yet.  But they are intended as metapackages which
> > Julian> contain no code,
> >
> > So I'd say they are the glue between related packages, for a rather
> > wide interpretation of glue.
>
>     I would call it a _very_ wide interpretation of glue.  For example,
> task-devel-common doesn't depend on anything; it only suggests and
> recommends.
>
>     I'm also wondering how a naive user would choose between, e.g., samba
> and task-samba, or gnome-network and task-gnome-net.

I uploaded a task-laptop.  I depended on the obvious -- apm, pcmcia, anacron.
I wanted to let toshiba and thinkpad users benefit so I added a suggests for
laptop specific packages.  Yes, apt will miss them, but we WILL need to have
a GUI of some form.  apt is worthless if you do not know the package name.
Currently dselect is the only real choice.  Limiting task packages because a
tool can not handle them is silly.