Re: New kernel

>I've installed a new kernel onto my Linux box! Version 2.3.8. (The old one
>was 2.2.8.. if I recall correct) Anyway.. the kernel works.. but when I
>bootup, and everything is beeing started like SMB, Sendmail, NIC's, etc,
>etc, I get lots of messages like this:

2.2.x kernels are "release" kernels.  2.3.x kernels are "development" kernels.
In the 2.3.x kernels new features can suddenly appear, and new bugs.
2.3.8 has a particularly bad reputation for losing data from hard drives. I
recommend that you use 2.2.11 unless you really know what you are doing.

>/boot/System.map incorrect version.
>
>Anybody know how to solve this problem? The same things happends when
>everything is beeing terminated (when I want to reboot)

Make your kernel with "make-kpkg" from the "kernel-package" package and you
won't have this problem.  Using Debian packages of kernels is the best way to
do things.  It's the best thing to hit kernel building since "make menuconfig"!

Also please note my .sig...

--
I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in Amsterdam or nearby areas.
Also I'll travel to other cities for users group meetings.