Re: /var/state or /var/lock ? Re: debian & UPS support

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Think it's a good idea?  This would let powstatd work correctly
> with UPS unit that don't ignore the kill signal when the power is
> on.

That's exactly how smartupstools will handle it. I can't think of a better
solution.

> What file should I `touch' and then remove?  /var/lock/powstatd or
> /var/state/powstatd?

Since /var/state will be gone, I think something like
/var/lib/<yourpackage>/<markfile> should be ok.

Haven't you considered having a look at smartupstools, joining the project
and writing just the hw module for your brand of ups? All the stuff around
getting status, shutdowns etc is the same, and it'd be great to have one
package supporting all brands ..

http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools

--
jozef  :-)