Re: /usr/bin or /usr/bin/X11

> i got an identical menu.ex from both methods, except that debmake
> produced:
> > cat tmp/DEBIAN/postinst
> #!/bin/sh -e
> if [ -x /usr/bin/update-menus ] ; then update-menus ; fi
>
> whereas dh_make produced one that did this (from memory):
> #!/bin/sh
> if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi
> if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi

dh-make shouldn't be generating postinst scripts at all.

> also, my point was:
> if debmake is deprecated and everyone should start using dh_make, why
> does debmake's control file claim to conform to a newer
> Standards-Version than dh_make (not to mention the buggy post{inst,rm}
> scripts) ?

That should be updated.

I think dh-make needs some serious cleanup done to it. It started life as a
clone of debmake and it really hasn't progressed far from there.

You should keep in mind that dh-make is just a program to get a package
started that will henceforth be built with debhelper. Debhelper is generally
held to be superior to debmake. I'm beginning to have my doubts about
dh-make though..

I'd reccommend you just roll a debian package using debhelper, ignoring
dh-make, and using the example debhelper rules files in
/usr/doc/debhelper/examples and the nice new documentation in
maint-guide.deb.

--
see shy jo, author of debhelper