Re: /usr/bin or /usr/bin/X11

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 05:44:11PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > debmake decided to run configure --prefix=/usr, should i add a
> > --bindir=/usr/bin/X11 argument to it?
> use "--prefix=/usr/X11R6",  and that'll get rid of the need for --bindir
> and all the rest.

but that would put data in /usr/X11R6/share and that would be bad..

> I'd switch to using debhelper,  also -- use of debmake is depreciated (I'm
> converting my packages now),  and debhelper add support for menu files and
> other stuff,  so you don't have to do them manually ...

i got an identical menu.ex from both methods, except that debmake
produced:
> cat tmp/DEBIAN/postinst
#!/bin/sh -e
if [ -x /usr/bin/update-menus ] ; then update-menus ; fi

whereas dh_make produced one that did this (from memory):
#!/bin/sh
if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi
if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi

(except it also had a comment or two in there)

(postrm was identical to postinst)

also, my point was:
if debmake is deprecated and everyone should start using dh_make, why
does debmake's control file claim to conform to a newer
Standards-Version than dh_make (not to mention the buggy post{inst,rm}
scripts) ?

--
 - Gus