Pseudo-solutions for versioned Provides?

Hi,

I'm trying to consolidate emusic into one .deb, and have no problems,
except one - the old packages have a versioned Depends: on one another.
I know that dpkg can't do versioned Provides...suggestions? Since this is
unstable, is it ok if I break them, and make the users manually remove the
offending packages?  Or perhaps release an interim set that removes the
versioned dependencies, let that sit in the archive for a while, then upload
the new .deb?

Ideas?  I know some of you must have thoughts on this issue.

Brian