Re: /usr/bin vs /usr/sbin

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 02:13:43AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > > sbin is for STATIC binaries.
> >
> > Please read section 3.10 of fsstnd (/usr/doc/debian-policy/fsstnd)
> > before you write something like this...
>
> FSSTND is a Linuxism.
Debian is a Linux.

Whatever the original purpose, even Solaris would appear not to follow it
these days. A quick peek at my Solaris 2.7 (or do they call it 7 now?) box
shows that 10 /sbin/ binaries are dynamically linked (against /usr/lib and
/etc/lib) and 9 are static (su.static is actually dynamically linked, but to
only one lib in /etc/lib!).
Original designs get corrupted - which is why we have a formalised FSSTND,
and why we should stick to whatever it says.

Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+
  ///      email: bjb@deus.net            www: http://www.deus.net/~bjb/