Re: config file handling

Michael Bramer <michael@grisu.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> what is with the 'config'-files in /var/lists/* from smartlist.
> This files are only modified by the sysadmin/listadmin. Some files in
> /var/named/* are also config-files, or not?

They are dpkg conffiles, and they are config files, but they *should*
be in /etc/ rather than /var.  Yes, the maintainer is aware of this.
I guess moving the files to /etc is significant hardship for the
maintainer, so they've decided to leave it.

> Should we move this to debian-policy?

I don't think it's necessary.  The point is that Policy states that
config files go in /etc.  Take your cues from best current practice,
not worst current practice. ;)