Re: config file handling

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> Jens Ritter wrote:
> > I have a gtk+ based application. You can tweak it´s looks by changing
> > the xlogmaster.gtkrc file. The gimp puts its file in
> > /usr/share/gimp/gtkrc. But I think /etc is the right place to put it
> > in.  Am I wrong?
>
> Personally I hate all these conf files flying around in /etc.  And the
> gtkrc is not a REAL conf file.  The app will run w/o it.  As opposed to
> say inittab or something.  So I say /usr/share is fine.  Or leave it off
> completely.  Flames welcome (-:

I think I will leave it off, as the default gtkrc rather spoils the good
looks. But where should the application look for it?

Another problem arises by the "extensive" use of /usr/share. The
fsstnd says in Section 6.4:

"One note: no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share.  For
instance, a manual page program should never directly look in
/usr/share/man/man1/ls.1, but it should refer to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at
all times.  Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the use of
symlinks from other areas in the filesystem, such as /usr/man,
/usr/lib/<something>, etc."

I have >9000 files in /usr/share but only ~30 links to it on my system...
(numbers by: find /usr/share | wc -l and
 find -type l -print0 |xargs -0 ls -l |grep /usr/share)

Has there been a policy decision to not comply to the note?

And still, where shall I put the gtkrc file of my application (or the
link to it)?

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37

Nothing works better as it is supposed to. (Steven Chu)