Re: automatic password generation

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 08:26:15PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> Chrony (essentially an xntp3 clone) includes two binaries: a daemon that
> runs as root and a control program that runs in user space.  To perform
> certain operations the user running the control program must provide a
> password which is stored in a file readable only by root.  I want the
> chrony package to install in a configuration that will "just work" on most
> systems.  To do that I must put a password in that file.  I don't want to
> put in a default password as most users will not change it, but I don't
> want to go to an interactive postinst either.  A solution I came up with is
> to generate and install a unique random password in the postinst.
>
> IS this ok with policy?  Am I missing any obvious problems?

Why not just have a password in there that cannot be entered by a user (A bit
like putting a '*' in the passwd file)?  You may need to alter the code, but
it should be trivial.

chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5