automatic password generation

Chrony (essentially an xntp3 clone) includes two binaries: a daemon that
runs as root and a control program that runs in user space.  To perform
certain operations the user running the control program must provide a
password which is stored in a file readable only by root.  I want the
chrony package to install in a configuration that will "just work" on most
systems.  To do that I must put a password in that file.  I don't want to
put in a default password as most users will not change it, but I don't
want to go to an interactive postinst either.  A solution I came up with is
to generate and install a unique random password in the postinst.

IS this ok with policy?  Am I missing any obvious problems?