Re: Greetings and RHIDE

Boriel wrote:
> I've just became a maintainer, and would like to debianize RHIDE. Rhide
> is a Borland C++ 3.1 like IDE for DOS and Linux.

OK, seems you could do that for linux, but wouldn't make sense for dos...

> It include many
> features like online Info help, integrated debugger, syntax
> highlighting, etc. It supports gcc, pascal, ada... (I really need it).

Note that emacs (and other things) offer these things and more. If you become
interested in an alternative later, check that out.

> Its distrubuted under GPL, however:
>
>     a) The binaries are distributed in rpm (red hat) packages (no
> problem)
>     b) The sources are distributed in rpm (after unpacking you obtain
> just .gz file on / directory ??)
>     c) Parts of the sources are property of Borland international (Turbo
> Vision :( Borland does not allow its distribuition).

So you could not distribute that part, and even if you could, it would be
in non-free.

> I believe this program could be in contrib section rather than stable
> one.

You should research this one: the package would only be useful to those
who actually own this turbovision thing.... UNLESS you plan on replacing
it with your own code...

> My question is: Should I have to recompile all the binaries to create
> the .deb file or just to repacked the binaries into .deb?

You will certainly have to recompile. You might want to write some sort
of installer package for the turbovision stuff and have some way of seamlessly
grabbing it from the user's borland distribution disks or wherever else it can
be got from.

-Jim