Re: Added autopkgtest for busco - Closes #1010653

On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 06:34:20PM +0300, Andrius Merkys wrote:
> Interesting. I maintain a package with ~80 MBs in debian/. But again,
> maybe I will get a REJECT next time it has to clear NEW. It would be
> nice to have a rule of thumb to implement in lintian, but from [5] I
> gather this is not that easy.

It is pretty random to be honest. Some people are okay with it and
some aren't.
I personally don't find it very fruitful to be doing the MUT thingy either
since with every new 'upstream release revision' we would be uploading giant source
tars to archive anyway... but I suppose we are doing what gets the ball
rolling.

> I understand that I am probably not seeing the whole picture, thus
> please do not take me questioning the status quo personally. I ACK your
> efforts to find the solution that works.
>
> I personally find multi-source tarballs (MUT) tricky to use (for
> example, will gbp import-orig handle them?).

I have never quite liked them either :)

> Actions to make one as per
> [4] are just way too many. I know MUTs are widely used in JS team,

Yep, I was just going to point there - but I realised you're a part
of JS team too.

> but
> again I mostly managed to avoid them and always got my packages ACCEPTED
> (I have heard about REJECTs of packages that are too small, though).

Actually, this has been pretty in-consistent as well. I remember a couple
of packages prepared by Praveen (DD in JS team) were rejected by FTP masters due to source code size.
The same packages were later accepted a few months back when another
DD (IIRC it was Jonas) uploaded it.

I have seen accepts for tiny JS packages and rejects for moderately sized ones as well.
All-the-more it has been very opaque for me, but that's a JS-team specific topic I guess.

> Furthermore, I think MUTs have to be properly documented. Policy [4]
> does not say where should I find the source for debian-tests-data/ or
> how to update it. In JS team usually there is some automation, mostly in
> debian/watch. For both busco and stringtie the descriptions are in
> debian/tests/README. Could this also be referenced in [4] then?

Right, Setting automation would be nice. But the problem comes when
you need to fetch some public data file in a heap of archive.
As far as I know, uscan isn't designed to handle such cases so we have to
do that manually.

Although, we do try to make it "semi"-automated, by using a get-tests-data script[7]
so you don't end up pulling it in every other time. I am personally not sure
if some other solution could work - however if you have some idea, it'd be nice to hear.

And yes, I do agree that we need to document the policy a little better - please
feel free to add those pointers.

> I personally much more like Russ's suggestion of a Debian binary package
> for various test data [6].
> [...]

Not sure if you missed it but
We had that discussion earlier, almost 2 years back
altho it is nice to re-discuss policies.

I was not convinced to do this then, neither am I now. I'd simply point to my
email[8] (it's not very long, and is readable) - again let me know
if you disagree.

[7]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/busco/-/blob/master/debian/tests/get-test-data
[8]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2020/09/msg00365.html

--