Re: How much data load is acceptable in debian/ dir and upstream

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> I think we should try to document somehow, when there is a need for some
> separate source package.  I would agree if the code is some kind of
> moving target and data would not change or if there is some kind of
> versioned downloadable tarball or the data can be shared between
> different software package.  But here none of these conditions is
> fulfilled.

Is there any overlap of the test data required by different packages?  I'm
wondering if it would make sense to create a new native Debian package
called debian-med-test-data or something like that, and put all of the
data used for package test suites in that package.  The tests can then
depend on it.

That may be a little inefficient for autopkgtest because it will need to
download more data than is necessary to test a specific package, but a bit
cleaner for the archive since it collects a class of data in one place and
provides a natural place for supporting documentation, copyright
information, and so forth.  It also provides a logical place to put
supporting scripts to, say, refresh the download or restructure the data
if required for different packages.  It feels a bit more self-documenting
and obvious what's going on.

That also avoids the hassle of having to maintain a bunch of separate test
data packages (although one could of course also do that) by collecting
the packaging in one place.