Re: Help request - How to install qiime plugins which are not available in Debian?

On domenica 18 luglio 2021, at 13:12 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

Hi Andreas,

> I admit I'm not a QIIME user and so I can not give some sensible advise
> how to can add the phylogeny plugin to your Debian package installation.
> However I just injected some (not yet finished!) Debian packaging for
> the said plugin[1] and filed an according ITP bug[2].

Great! Having as many qiime plugin as possible in Debian is a huge
help for those like me. Installing via apt/aptitude is much easier and
hassle-free than the other options.

I know packaging requires its time but I will keep an eye on the new
q2-* packages entering Debian.

> > I did search online, also in the Debian Wiki, but I found the
> > installation instruction of qiime2 kinda confusing. I am really
> > greateful for you work for packetization for Debian that so far made
> > my work so much easier (aside one problem that led me to report bug
> > 991208, which -as a side note- I hope was not just a misjudgement on my
> > part).
>
> The bug report is definitely valid.  We try to fix this soon but it
> might last until the next Debian version is released since Debian
> unstable is currently frozen.

OK, perfect.

> I think the best idea you had is really to show up here and let us
> know what you want to use which will motivate us to package what you
> need.  We can not give any timing promises but the work has started
> at least.

I subscribed to the list and will do as you suggest in the future.

Indeed, Debian Med packetization work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

beatrice