Re: Help request - How to install qiime plugins which are not available in Debian?

Hi Beatrice,

thanks you for contacting our mailing list.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 08:57:53AM +0200, Beatrice Torracca wrote:
> I am starting to (learn how to) work with qiime in Debian.
> I installed qiime and all q2-* plugins available for my testing install.
>
> I also need the phylogeny plugin which does not seem to be available
> in Debian. (And "qiime --help" does not show a "phylogeny"
> subcommand). Is it possible to somehow download, install and add that
> plugin to my Debian installation of qiime?

I admit I'm not a QIIME user and so I can not give some sensible advise
how to can add the phylogeny plugin to your Debian package installation.
However I just injected some (not yet finished!) Debian packaging for
the said plugin[1] and filed an according ITP bug[2].

The packaging is not ready yet and after a quick view it might be caused
by some ramxl issue where a different binary package name is expected.
This needs further investigation I can not do right now (every other
team member is kindly invited to step in ;-) )

> I did search online, also in the Debian Wiki, but I found the
> installation instruction of qiime2 kinda confusing. I am really
> greateful for you work for packetization for Debian that so far made
> my work so much easier (aside one problem that led me to report bug
> 991208, which -as a side note- I hope was not just a misjudgement on my
> part).

The bug report is definitely valid.  We try to fix this soon but it
might last until the next Debian version is released since Debian
unstable is currently frozen.

> I guess otherwise I would have to go the virtualbox route, which is
> also kinda blurry to me (I imagine any VM, like QEMU, would do,
> right?). So, any pointers to talks/presentations/tutorial on qiime in
> Debian would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I can not comment on this since I simply lack the required
knowledge.

> Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

I think the best idea you had is really to show up here and let us
know what you want to use which will motivate us to package what you
need.  We can not give any timing promises but the work has started
at least.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/q2-phylogeny
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/991240