Re: soname question

On 9/13/21 11:21 PM, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
> Op 03-09-2021 om 19:15 schreef Maarten L. Hekkelman:
>> Now what? Were my ideas correct and should I update the SONAME? If so do I have to request a Debian Developer to upload? Of do I have to submit this as a new software package? Or do I simply revert the SONAME and pray no one notices the binary difference. The last option is easiest, but of course not the best.
>
> So I followed the advice and the new binary package for the library is named libzeep5.1. This is all accepted into unstable but now I run into regressions. libpdb-redo is linked against libzeep5 and an application built with libpdb-redo is linked against both libzeep5 and libzeep5.1...
>
> Ehrm... now what? I guess I need to upload a new version of libpdb-redo so it will build with libzeep5.1 instead of libzeep5? Or is there anything else I need to do?

Ideally, you'd request something called a BinNMU[1][2]
But since there is only libpdb-redo that depends on libzeep, simply uploading a new changelog revision
of libpdb-redo _should_ do the trick, ideally.

[1]: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#binary-only-nmu
[2]: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#source-nmus-vs-binary-only-nmus-binnmus

Cheers,

--