soname question

Tried to use my fresh new powers as a maintainer today. That worked well, until I tried to update the SONAME one of my libraries (libzeep).

The version currently in Debian is version 5.0.2 and has SONAME 5. The current upstream version is 5.1.2 and this one is not binary compatible with the one in Debian. So I thought it would be best to set the SONAME of the new lib to 5.1. And so I had to create a new package as well called libzeep5.1 for the shared library.

But of course, my upload was rejected since it was new.

Now what? Were my ideas correct and should I update the SONAME? If so do I have to request a Debian Developer to upload? Of do I have to submit this as a new software package? Or do I simply revert the SONAME and pray no one notices the binary difference. The last option is easiest, but of course not the best.

-maarten
--
Maarten L. Hekkelman
http://www.hekkelman.com/