Re: Moving packages removed in the archive to /attic?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 08:13:39AM +0200, Andrius Merkys wrote:

> > That's an additional point to my argument about automatic tools parsing
> > the repositories.
> >
> >> It doesn't matter too much, IMHO. At any point in time if someone would
> >> bring those packages back to archive, they'd have to use
> >> s.d.o/med-team/pkg anyway.
> >> Plus they aren't in the archive either. URLs breaking is of more
> >> relevance only when they are in the archive
> >
> > True.  But packages are residing in oldstable quite some time and they
> > reside for ever in snapshots.  Besides this a package removed from
> > Debian can possibly survive several user machines if just upgrades from
> > one release to the next one is done.  I think several of my boxes were
> > upgraded over four releases or so.  If there is no conflict the packages
> > might reside on user machines for the life time of the machine.
>
> This is a strong argument against moving the repositories. It convinces
> me that we should not do that.

I am +1 on not moving repositories (unless the VCS will handle redirects
forever - which is difficult to guarantee and outside of the control of
the team).  There may be links in the BTS or outside of the Debian
ecosystem referencing a commit or file that are useful for someone
hoping to understand the history of a bug or provenance of a fix, even
after the package is no longer in the archive.

Cheers,
tony