Re: Moving packages removed in the archive to /attic?

Hi,

On 2021-03-10 16:48, Robbi Nespu wrote:
> On 3/10/21 10:14 PM, Nilesh Patra wrote:
>> There are some packages that have been removed from the archive, but
>> their repositories still reside on the med-team salsa namespace.
>>
>> It might be helpful to preserve such repositories in case someone
>> in future might want to re-introduce them, but at the same time probably
>> keeping it at s.d.o/med-team/<pkg> isn't the best thing to do.
>>
>> I propose moving it to a subspace on the salsa med team namespace,
>> something like: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/attic
>>
> It remind me a lot to CVS and I don't like it personally but I think
> this is best way to separate deprecated and active package like you suggest
>
>> As an example, the ruby-team does something similar:
>> https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/attic
>>
>> Thoughts?

I agree that removed packages could be moved elsewhere from the main
namespace, and I agree with Nilesh's proposed method.

A pair of tiny advantages of leaving the removed packages as they are:

1. When someone inadvertently tries to package stuff which is already
removed. In this case they would stumble upon the repo (already happened
to me). But of course people are supposed to check before packaging new
things. Running 'salsa search' will find packages both in s.d.o/med-team
and s.d.o/med-team/attic, or not?

2. Vcs-* URLs in debian/control will break after moving repositories.
Not sure if these URLs are of any use for removed packages, though.

> On Fedora, they replace all file on master (rawhide) branch with "dead
> file" but the previous source code are still available on previous
> branch (fedora released version). For example[1].
>
> Moving https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/pkg to
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/attic/pkg will keep something such as
> issue tracking, PR, wiki too? If possible to keep everything, it would
> be better too.

I believe moving whole repositories preserves all related stuff.

> [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/weka/tree/rawhide

Best,
Andrius