Re: Moving packages removed in the archive to /attic?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 08:44:36PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:

> > 2. Vcs-* URLs in debian/control will break after moving repositories.
> > Not sure if these URLs are of any use for removed packages, though.

That's an additional point to my argument about automatic tools parsing
the repositories.

> It doesn't matter too much, IMHO. At any point in time if someone would
> bring those packages back to archive, they'd have to use
> s.d.o/med-team/pkg anyway.
> Plus they aren't in the archive either. URLs breaking is of more
> relevance only when they are in the archive

True.  But packages are residing in oldstable quite some time and they
reside for ever in snapshots.  Besides this a package removed from
Debian can possibly survive several user machines if just upgrades from
one release to the next one is done.  I think several of my boxes were
upgraded over four releases or so.  If there is no conflict the packages
might reside on user machines for the life time of the machine.