Re: Acquiring Dental RVG on Linux

Am Freitag, 1. Januar 2021, 09:34:58 CET schrieb Sonali Warunjikar:

> On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 08:28:21AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > > Yes, it's now closer to a real X ray. The Dr still sees some problems,

> > > but

> > > I think it will need some experiments with exposure, brightness and

> > > contrast.

> > Typically, there's presets for those but as a doctor one always plays

> > with them such settings during the diagnostics process.

> > So, I suppose finding suitable defaults is useful but then

> > one should strive to convert the data to a more conventional

> > format, say, some DICOM variant and feed that to Orthanc for

> > storage and to Ginkgo CADx / Aeskulap / your-favourite-viewer

> > for image display. They offer controls for adjusting exposure,

> > brightness, and contrast.

> > I can ascertain one _needs_ to adjust those dynamically :-)

> What I am told is, the defaults of the proprietary software are pretty

> good and often don't need much adjustment. But with the images we are

> getting now we tried in gimp and exposure, brightness, contrast could be

> adjusted to get satisfactory view. Probably those settings should be

> applied to the image up front (say using ImageMagick or otherwise) -

> besides the viewer will have those options.

> I am not finding a case for taking pains to convert it to DICOM as long as

> I get all the controls over a png - for example with gimp. Some advance

> use cases in other walks of radio imaging benefit (3D, playing a sequence

> of images etc) but for general dentistry not sure whether we need those.

The use case for converting to DICOM could be :

1.) standard based "image" storage and sharing

2.) image manipulation with standard (any) DICOM viewer out there

Tools like this make the conversion process easy

https://support.dcmtk.org/docs-dcmrt/img2dcm.html

or this

https://github.com/pydicom/pydicom/issues/939