Aw: Re: Acquiring Dental RVG on Linux

How is the machine connected ? USB ? Network ?

What are the resulting files you get on disk with the Windows software or is it stored in a database ?

I might be worth looking into how the software actually finds out the hardware has changed. They might check the MAC address of the network card.

Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Dezember 2020 um 10:09 Uhr
Von: "Sonali Warunjikar" <sonali.warunjikar@gmail.com>
An: debian-med@lists.debian.org
Betreff: Re: Acquiring Dental RVG on Linux
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 08:48:21AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> The windows imaging application might work under Wine, or be
> put into a VM, and might possibly store the imaging results
> in a somehow accessible format, which you might be able to
> further process on the Linux side.

Yes, my setup is precisely that right now. A VirtualBox windows instance
on Linux host and shared samba file system over which I can get the images
back to Linux.

However the license of the proprietary software is node locked which does
not allow me to change the VM. For example I can't even switch from
virtualbox to qemu or something else that might suit me. Tried porting the
vm to qemu, but windows always finds that as if the motherboard has
changed and refuses to boot. If I do a fresh installation I'll have to buy
the software license all over again every time I do so.

You mentioned DICOM - is it a protocol to talk to digital x ray device? If
there are any resources kindly do share. I'll also search.