Re: Acquiring Dental RVG on Linux

Am Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 12:59:56PM +0530 schrieb Sonali Warunjikar:

> > > I have a carestream dental RVG device with USB interface and I am stuck
> > > with their proprietary software for acquiring the RVG image which runs
> > > only on Windows. Isn’t there any Linux based alternative by which I can
> > > acquire the RVG over USB?
> > >
> > > I know there are a lot of imaging software options. My question is more
> > > about acquiring the RVG over USB.
> >
> > A first step might be to explain field- (and
> > language-)specific acronyms.
>
> Field: dentistry
> RVG: Intraoral imaging device (digital xray) by carestream

Digital x-ray often works by sending DICOM files back and
forth. Proprietary machines do proprietary things, however.

There's something called a worklist which is where imaging
requests are sent to and which is read by imaging devices in
order to obtain patient data and procedure to perform.

Then, DICOM (DCM) files containing the images are produced
and sent back.

But, this may well be totally different in a proprietary
device.

Your next step might be to research the options for getting
the machine to speak DICOM. There may be a module from the
vendor for doing so. It may do so under the hood, even over
USB.

The windows imaging application might work under Wine, or be
put into a VM, and might possibly store the imaging results
in a somehow accessible format, which you might be able to
further process on the Linux side.

One might consider the weird and wonderful way of exporting
the images onto (virtual) CD-ROM from the windows software
and reading that back into Linux, say, Orthanc.

Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B