Re: [MoM] ampl-netlib-solvers

Hi Andrei,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:08:37PM +0200, Andrei Rozanski wrote:
> Copyright updated.

I'm sorry I seem to have dragged you into some extra work (like as a
school punishment).  It was not intended that you split up all those
files into single copyright years.  I summarised those two blocks of
files that were copyrighted by different copyright holders and simply
used the beginning and ending years for all.  That should be sufficient
to give them according credit.  So my self-imposed punishment was to
fix those edits. ;-)

The real missing was the license field that really belongs to every
Files paragraph.  This is added as well.  So this should be OK now.

I also worked a bit on debian/control - please check my two commits.
One is fixing that the short description should be no sentence.
The other one fixes the lintian warning about a too long line in
the description.  I simply fixed it by using

   cme fix dpkg-control

Please confirm that you have cme installed and can run this program
sucessfully.  Its your friend when doing automatic changes to d/control.

Please also confirm that you can run lintian - I strongly recommend to
install lintian from unstable no matter what system you are running - be
it stable, testing or even some Debian derivative.  Since we are
developing for unstable we should use the latest policy checker.  To
ensure this I have droped the following file on my system:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-lintian.pref
Package: lintian
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 601

Package: lintian-brush
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 601

Lintian-brush is another nice package which I regularly use.  It just
fixes lintian issues and commits these to your Git repository.

So lintian tells you about the resulting package:

I: ampl-netlib-solvers: unstripped-static-library usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amplsolver.a(asldate.o)
I: ampl-netlib-solvers: unstripped-static-library usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amplsolver.a(atof.o)
I: ampl-netlib-solvers: unstripped-static-library usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amplsolver.a(auxinfo.o)
I: ampl-netlib-solvers: unstripped-static-library ... use --no-tag-display-limit to see all (or pipe to a file/program)

(when running with --info severity which I ensure by droping the following file:

$ cat ~/.config/lintian/lintianrc
color=always
display-experimental=no
display-info=yes

)

I have not seen this info before but considering the size of
usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/amplsolver.a I suspect all needed libraries
are statically linked which is what we do not want.  So your task
is to find a quilt patch for the makefile to prevent static linking
and do dynamic linking instead.  For sure you can keep on asking here
how to do this.