Re: Bowtie upgrade to version 1.3

> It seems the Python3 patch was applied, some others as well and there
> seems also be a relevant change for our patches since SeqAn seems not to
> be used any more.  So I removed or deactivated all patches with some
> connection to SeqAn.

Hi Andreas, thanks for working on it.

Yes. SeqAn dependency was removed on bowtie 1.3.0, as I adjusted it
with the upstream.
I remember the bowtie deb package has a patch to build with the SeqAn in Debian.
So, I believe this change makes the packaging easier.

> I was wondering about those /usr/bin/bowtie*-debug binaries.  Do we
> *really* need these?  Some of them (namely bowtie-inspect-*-debug
> seem to be perfectly identical to their non-debug counterparts).  IMHO
> we are bloating user machines with some data load that is not used
> (and also not installed by the default bowtie installation procedure -
> I had to add these explicitly after noticing the diff in the debdiff).

In my understanding, the `*-debug` binaries are used inside the bowtie
binary when it is called as `bowtie --debug`.
(bowtie2 is the same as well).

> IMHO the bowtie-dbgsym package is providing the functionality of those
> additional executables and I think these extra binaries should not be
> shipped inside the bowtie package.

I agree on your idea to include the -debug binaries in a bowtie-foo
sub package, not in the bowtie main package.

Jun

--
Jun | He - His - Him