Re: Sponsored upload for shasta

Hello Andreas,

> sorry for beeing slower than usual with sponsering.  I slowly recover to
> "normal operation" after DebConf. ;-)

No worries! :)

> I was stumbling upon "Files: src/MurmurHash2*" since we have
> libmurmurhash packaged.  But it seems this version 2 is a new code base
> and may be we should split this out in another package **later** (so no
> need to change anything in shasta right now IMHO.  Just mentioning it
> since I expect more packages featuring code copies.  At least source
> package python-murmurhash has files with the same name.

Agreed. However, I intentionally didn't touch this as upstream labelled
this as a heavily modified version for Shasta and I don't know if some
aspects are designated just for Shasta (and not for a new version of
MurmurHash). Future note for me that the best thing would be a diff
across these versions.

> My guess is ftpmaster will stumble upon it.  I admit I personally have
> no idea how this string relates to that file of "code"  - may be just a
> boilerplate?  But I think this file should be mentioned to not risk a
> reject.

I spotted this, but my take is that this configuration was maybe part of
some template and the author of Shasta quickly modified it to their
liking. I didn't want to just "credit and list" someone in d/copyrights
if its some heavy modification of the configuration file. But I do
agree, and for the sake of being safe with rejects, should list it
anyways. What sort of license should I use? The same as Shasta?

> Besides this the package does not build in my pbuilder environment:
>
> dh_install
> dh_install: warning: Cannot find (any matches for)
"debian/tmp/build/*/*/*/shasta-install/bin/shastaDynamic" (tried in .,
debian/tmp)

> dh_install: warning: shasta missing files:
debian/tmp/build/*/*/*/shasta-install/bin/shastaDynamic
> dh_install: warning: Cannot find (any matches for)
"debian/tmp/build/*/*/*/shasta-install/bin/shasta.so" (tried in .,
debian/tmp)

> dh_install: warning: python3-shasta missing files:
debian/tmp/build/*/*/*/shasta-install/bin/shasta.so
> dh_install: error: missing files, aborting
>
> I've checked where those files ended up inside the pbuilder chrooT:
>
> /build/shasta-0.5.1# find . -name shastaDynamic
> ./obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/dynamicExecutable/shastaDynamic

./debian/tmp/build/shasta-0.5.1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/shasta-install/bin/shastaDynamic
> /build/shasta-0.5.1# find . -name "*.so*"
> ./docs/PythonApi/shasta.so
> ./obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/dynamicLibrary/shasta.so

./debian/tmp/build/shasta-0.5.1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/shasta-install/docs/PythonApi/shasta.so

./debian/tmp/build/shasta-0.5.1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/shasta-install/bin/shasta.so

> Shayan, may be this rings a bell in you since you dealed way more
> intensely with this package.  If not, feel free to ask me for doing
> deeper investigations.

Weird. This clearly builds within sbuild (via gbp buildpackage). Maybe
this is some sort of "building-environment specific difference). I'll
see what I can do, and as there is only one unique binary of each
generated, maybe utilising the find command (at the worst case) to be
the best option.

Thanks a lot for reviewing this. I'll let you know of its progression.

Kind regards,
Shayan Doust