Re: Statistics::PCA and friends

Hi all,

I took a bit of time to proceed to changes for the package
libmath-matrixreal-perl but I wanted to get right my autopkgtest
infrastructure, and life interleaved with commits.  It /should/
be in better shape this time.

gregor herrmann, on 2020-05-22 18:16:07 +0200:
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:12:23 +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> >
> > > I'd love to switch to dpt but its always so hard to switch from
> > > "something that works" to "something that might work a bit differen but
> > > its state of the art".  I would welcome if someone would check our
> > > scripts and turn them into wrappers around some dpt calls in case
> > > there might be some additional functionality (sorry I never managed
> > > to check dpt despite I probably should).
> > dpt standing for Debian Perl packaging Tools, I would suppose a
> > few built-in capabilities may be Debian Perl Team specific, but
> > yes, a more generic automata could be interesting I guess.
>
> Indeed, there are some pkg-perl specifics in our tools, but yes, some
> are probably useful for others, and in Debian we have a long
> tradition of duplicating work :/

From my experience, this is not specific to the Debian project.
Other projects may not have this tradition in place, but only
because they are to young to have a long tradition anyway.

> > Speaking of automation, I tried to run routine-update out of
> > curiosity, and it dropped the debhelper-compat from level 13 to
> > level 12.  I was wondering if there would be concerns over
> > moving too fast to newer debhelper-compat version, or if the
> > latest and greatest is always the one recommended.  In doubt I
> > undid the the routine-update changes, for now.
>
> From a perl point of view: We have often been a bit slow and careful
> not to switch to a new debhelper compat level too early, especially
> when there are no gains for our type of packages.
>
> With debhelper 13 there are some nice improvements, so it makes sense
> to use it IMO.

Okay, I'll stick to it at least on Perl side.  Thanks!

Have a nice day  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d