Re: prinseq(-lite), a dependency of virus seeker

Hi Andrius,

merkys@debian.org, on 2020-04-11 08:22:11 +0300:
> I have a couple of comments:
>
> 1. In Debian it is usual to strip programming language extensions from
> file names (.pl in this case). I see lintian already complains about
> that. I suggest stripping them off in debian/rules. The reverse
> dependencies will be easy to patch to use the extensionless command names.

Yes you are right, I was a bit concerned by Charles statement on
compatibility with upstream[1], especially since virusseeker
mentionned it /with/ the extension in its documentation[2].  On
the other hand I do understand that having lintian overides may
not be the best way to begin with packaging, and no extensions
in command names looks definitely cleaner.  Since there are
mecanisms to deal with extensions, I guess I'll stick to it for
the moment.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2018/06/msg00043.html
[2] https://wupathlabs.wustl.edu/virusseeker/installation/install-prerequisite-software/

> 2. I see you are installing the manpage (debian/prinseq-lite.pl.1)
> "manually". You can considerably simplify this just by adding
> 'debian/prinseq-lite.pl.1' to debian/manpages, the rest will be done
> automatically!

Thanks!  So the debian/manpages file was the thing I was
missing.  I'm always happy to delete unnecessary lines of code.
:)

Speaking of manual pages and lintian, a warning about an
unbreakable line in prinseq-lite.1 remains, but I'm not sure how
to fix it without risking to change the meaning of the
looking like the latin alphabet, but the there is a second
sequence without the same set or order of letters.

> Best wishes,
> Andrius

To you too, take care!
Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d