[covid-19] Reviving tensorflow packaging effort (Was: Missing dependancies for streamlit)

Hi Mo,

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 02:46:06AM +0000, Mo Zhou wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 11:49:07AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 08:56:45AM +0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> > > tensorflow 1.10 was packaged in experimental, but with reduced performance,
> > > and was removed because this was considered not worth it:
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=935769
> >
> > Ah I simply forgot this.  Thanks for refreshing my mind.
>
> After that I tried to refresh the packaging and uploaded tensorflow 2.0
> to the NEW queue. The ftp-master complained about the embedded snapshot
> version of Eigen3. Ftp-masters are not convinced even if I said
> tensorflow FTBFS against the version shipped in our archive, and it
> could waste lots of my time and energy to patch the related code.

I can understand your feeling.  I've re-read the discussion[1] about
including eigen3 into the tensorflow source.  The most promising
statement was given in

   https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-science-maintainers/2020-March/079169.html

   Sean Whitton spwhitton at spwhitton.name
   Tue Mar 3 04:04:52 GMT 2020

   Rejected per your request, but from my point of view this discussion is
   not over -- Policy 4.13 says that packages *should* not use convenience
   copies of code, not that they *must* not.

   Thank you for all your work on uploading useful ML packages.

At first: Thanks also from me!

>From my point of view that is not a lost case so we should really try
again.

> I was so angry at that time so I deleted my name from the maintainers
> and wrote the git message "I'm dropping this burden.".

Well, sometimes personal feelings are dominating our actions.  I hope we
could form some real team around this to spread the technical as well as
the organisational burden.

> So another kind notice for whoever is willing to take over tensorflow:
> also be prepared to fuss with ftp-master.

I need to admit that I'm absolutely happy about ftpmaster.  They are
currently *extremely* supportive to our COVID-19 hackathon and > 30
packages made it from upload to unstable in less than 24 hours!

Since I consider it a "promising time" to reach a lot for deep learning
tools in Debian which are frequently used in those tools to hunt down
COVID-19 I'd like to call for help here for trying again to get
tensorflow in - this time even with the Python3 module.

Lumin has written an own build system for the C++ library since he has
found out that the upstream build system is not usuable for Debian.
Regarding the Python3 module he said that its not simply a matter of
adapting his build system but "significantly extend" it since the python
building process is much more complicated than the process for C++.

Any takers for this task?

[1] https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-science-maintainers/2020-March/079054.html