Re: Debian Med Covid special?

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:51:07PM +0100, Ben Tris wrote:
> I have put up a list with recent updated Debian Med packages.

Could you please explain on what basis you assembled this list.

To give only two examples that make me wondering about this:

   kleborate - tool to screen Klebsiella genome assemblies

Well, I injected this package since it helps my colleagues and its a
useful package, thought.  However, I fail to see the connection between
Klebsiella and COVID-19.

   libspdlog-dev - Very fast, header only or compiled, C++ logging library
   (source: spdlog mentioned in your list)

Well, sure this is used in some of our Debian Med packages.  But adding
this to such a list opens the question why you leave out libc and linux
kernel.  IMHO we need to track issues inside these packages via
dependencies.  I plan to enhance our Blends QA tools by a page which
lists testing migration issues that are showing issues inside dependant
packages.  Similarly with libopencv-dev (source opencv).

We have lots of packages that might be more relevant currently on our
med-bio list[1] (which you hopefully consulted when you assembled your
list).

> Also inviting to update or add entries to  the Free Software Directory.
>
> https://www.gezapig.nl/debianmedcovid.html

In your list you are naming source packages.  The Blends framework is
based on binary packages so I will translate this to the probably most
relevant binary package.  Regarding debian-science I admit I do not
really know what exactly you might have in mind.  Debian-Science
contains *a huge amount* of packages.  Do you consider some specific
metapackage more relevant?

In any case I have added the extract of your list[2] to the covid-19
task.  I admit if you want changes here I'd really appreciate merge
requests (or simply send me a diff to the list I attached to this mail:
sourcepkg.list is basically column three of your web page above and
pkg.list is my translation to binary packages).

> Debian Meds r-cran-surveillance relates to predicting outbreaks? .

Well, probably I could cut-n-paste the whole med-epi task.  So I did in
my latest commit[3].  Rendering the web pages will take say one hour
after pushing the new data.

As a first work item: I remember that I failed to solve bug #813821
(of source package pynn - see my bug log).

> May be interesting:
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/embracing-open-science-medical-crisis-0
>
> With these mentioned links
>
> https://nextstrain.org/ https://www.gisaid.org/ https://openpcr.org/

I just inspected nextstrain.org.  All those tools are requiring

   https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/covid-19#auspice

This in turn needs about 20 nodejs packages.  Do we want to tackle
these in a COVID-19 web tools effort?

Looking at gisaid.org I think that's just a data exchange.  If you
find some software tool we could package it would be great if we
could help.

Openpcr.org does not really look like Open Source:

  OpenPCR Software
  The OpenPCR application runs on both Windows
  and Mac OS X platforms using Adobe Air.

For sure we could use the COVID-19 crisis as a chance to ask software
authors to free their code - but we have other work to do now IMHO.

Thanks a lot for all your input

      Andreas.

[1]
> >>    https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio