Re: [MoM] FAST progress (was Re: [MoM] fast: Add further dependencies to enable chroot / cowbuilder to build)

Hi Shayan,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2019 at 03:40:36PM +0100, Shayan Doust wrote:
> > Its on my todo list.  Unfortunately the build time takes some time and I
> > will not stress test the battery of my laptop.  Reminding is fine in any
> > case. :-)
>
> Ahh that's fine and understandable :-). I assumed maybe you offloaded
> this on some build server. I am not too sure of the procedure, but with
> any task that has a maintainer hardware limitation, would debian provide
> environments or remote machines for a duration of time? I am somewhat
> working blindly with this package so it's good to know for the future
> instead of bugging you for a hundred builds :-).

I could use remote hardware but in 98% my laptop is fine.  In those rare
cases I use my desktop as fallback.  Remembering how these remote
servers might work takes more time for me.

> > I admit new queue can be stress test the patience of newcomers.  To be
> > short:  You can never know how long a package takes.  Despite the name
> > is "queue" its not a FIFO procedure.  Sometimes its helpful to give some
> > hints about priorities and why a package might be more important than
> > others.  BTW, I even had send a mail to ftpmaster ranking your packages
> > in the category "Would motivate newcomer" which was below "needed for
> > bcbio" package.  Seems that ranking was not helpful to proceed with the
> > list I gave. :-(
>
> It's more of just a curiosity factor, and sometimes educating eager
> upstream developers as I'm very patient. Surprisingly, there aren't that
> many listed as ftp masters for the amount of package awaiting upload.

Yes, its also a person-power bottleneck.

> Would it be productive to work on another package alongside this FAST
> package?

If you are just bored by waiting, yes, why not?  Or check the list of
bugs under

   https://bugs.debian.org/debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org

Currently there are lots of those due to gcc migration and even more
due to Python2 removal.  If you are happy with gdb you can check

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2019/09/msg00013.html

or also

   https://bugs.debian.org/806214

So new packages are fine but fixing some bugs inbetween is also very
valuable.  As a general remark to everybody:  For the moment fixing
only one bug per week brings you in our bugs statistics:

   http://blends.debian.net/liststats/bugs_debian-med.png

:-P

Hope that's sufficient inspiration to not get bored inbetween. ;-)