Re: New version of proteinortho

Hi Andreas,
Yes, /usr/lib/ should be replaced with /usr/bin.
Within the scope of my PHD, I will probably modify proteinortho in the future, so a integration to stable in 2 years sounds good to me. The heaviest updates are done for now (~300 commits) but there will be probably some minor or maybe major changes/updates from time to time.
In the meanwhile this backports integration seems reasonable to me. If I can help in any way, just let me know.
Greetings,
Paul

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:33 AM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Paul,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 08:59:16AM +0200, Paul Klemm wrote:
> I tested it and everything works how i expect it to be.s

Thanks a lot for testing.

> But there is one
> problem: please include a link to all the binaries, e.g.
> proteinortho_grab_proteins.pl is often used after a proteinortho call.

Is this true for all those files currently in

   /usr/lib/proteinortho/

Than we can move them right to /usr/bin.  (For some reason I assumed
that these would be small helpers only but if users expect all files in
their PATH these should be there.)

> Also I am just curious: How long does it take for a package to go from
> unstable to stable?

Debian stable has the name *stable* since there is usually *no*
migration of new code.  Thus proteinortho will be released in its than
latest version with the next Debian release which will be Debian 11 -
probably in about two years.  Since this is probably not what you want
for your users we provide backports[1] to stable at request.  But users
need to include those backports in their souces.list.  So what we should
do right now is:

   1. Fix the location of files (please answer above)
   2. Wait until proteinortho has migrated to testing
   3. Upload to buster-backports

BTW, I'm always CCing debian-med@lists.debian.org and I'd prefer if you
would send your questions to this public list as well since we are a
team and there are chances that I fail to answer private mails.

> Thank you very much, Paul

You are welcome

      Andreas.

[1] https://backports.debian.org/