Re: Hmmer2 fork / enhancements

Hi Joshua,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:11:19AM -0500, Joshua Marshall wrote:
> To keep this from spamming the list, what more should I do at this point?

It is in no way spamming the list.  The list is about packaging of
software for life sciences.

I think I managed to build the package now in Git[1].  You said
you have intentionally removed hmmer-pmv so this binary package
is droped now.

I realised that you changed the build system (no Makefile.in any more)
which I think is not the best idea.  I would have prefered Makefile.am +
configure.ac.  One of the consequences (besides some errors in the
installation) is that no static library is built any more.  Usually we
provide the static library in the development package (in addition to
the shared one inside the library package).  With full automake support
that's pretty simple for all architectures but your change made it hard
and thus I the static lib is not in the package any more.  That's not
dramatical but a slight deterioration for no good reason.

Please inspect all patches[2] I createt and check whether you want to
take over some into your distribution tarball.  Not all of them are
sensible outside the Debian package but some are just fixing bugs in the
Makefiles.

Let me know what you think and whether you want to change something
before I upload the package.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/hmmer2
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/hmmer2/tree/master/debian/patches