Hmmer2 fork / enhancements (Was: Is my post making it to the mailing list?)

Hi Joshua,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 04:45:33PM -0500, Joshua Marshall wrote:
> Is now a better time to bring up my Hmmer 2 fork?

Please shortly describe the purpose of your fork the changes you
did on the list and than we can (probably/hopefully) replace the
existing hmmer2 package by your fork.  I'm *not* a hmmer2 user
(nor do I have the slightest idea what hmmer2 is doing - I'm not
a biologist) so it makes no sense to discuss this just with me.
Thus I'm posting this on the list.

For other readers here are some links to previous posts about
this issue:

  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2018-October/066203.html
  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2018-October/066757.html
  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2018-October/066762.html
  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2018-November/066997.html

My prefered way to deal with this would be to point the debian/watch
file of hmmer2 to

  https://github.com/anadon/hmmer2/releases

and package the latest release from there (instead of applying huge
patches that nobody can read or maintain) but please document the
relation to the official hmmer2, your fork/continuation and hmmer3
at an easily accessible place.