Porting to Bio-Linux and publicity work (Was: RRID update on salsa on packages starting with A+B)

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 02:36:57PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:

> In my PoV there is not too much of a conceptional difference between porting
> to Bio-Linux and having backports within Debian. We need to address both.
> Just who should do all that.

Backporting to Debian stable is a well established procedure.  While we
should keep in mind some automatic process, I'd happily work down a list
of packages. :-)

> Since Debian Med takes about every opportunity that it is just a regular
> part of Debian, we somehow do not have any home page since there is the
> Debian home page already.

Well, we have the terribly outdated and unmaintained

   https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/

> As such there is also no such thing like a page
> where to distribute any Debian Med-specific news. Closest is possibly
>
> https://blends.debian.org/med/

That's at least not outdated since basically auto-generated. ;-)

> and http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/ .

Outdated and unmaintained as well and will vanish in one month with
the shutdown of Alioth anyway.

> Nobody truly wants to read through our Wiki page on
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed .

Outdated and unm... (you guess it :-()

> We have http://debianmed.blogspot.de/ with latest news from 2014.

I admit I lost motivation when realising that I was the only one posting
there and kept on what I feel my time better spent:  Coding for QA,
bugfixing and packaging new stuff.

> > I've listened to Andreas: I intend to create a "bio-linux-desktop"
> > meta-package modelled on the Debian-Med/Bio* tasks that are now being
> > updated to include some 'missing' packages that were only in Bio-Linux.
>
> We should think about adding the version in Ubuntu and Bio-Linux to show up
> among the versions in the task pages. I would not know how to implement
> that, admittedly.

We could either add this as an ordinary Debian Med task (which means it
gets a 'med-' prefix or it is a separate package and is listed as any
other regular package.  Help is granted for both options whatever you
decide.

If you are fine with integrating into Debian Med tasks its just a matter
of creating a task file according to the examples in

   https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/med/tree/master/tasks

If you want to add things like desktop backgrounds and other stuff
this can be done as well.  Just ask here if in trouble.