Re: salsa commit mailing list

* Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou@irisa.fr> on 18 Jan 2018 13:05:57 +0100

we'll be able to discuss abuot salsa at next sprint.

It appears however that there will be no salsa mailing list for commits, like available in alioth.

We can subscribe personally to repository updates, but there will no more be any specific commit mailing list, and debian mailing list are not targeted for such usage (as said in salsa doc).

Do we want to keep such a mailing list ? if yes, what could be the solution?

We can take inspiration on how the Debian Octave Group (DOG) cope with the problem. The DOG used to have a mailing list for commit notifications [1]. When the package repositories migrated into Salsa, they started using the dispatch feature of tracker.d.o [2].

First, a team for the DOG was created at tracker.d.o [3]. Then, the DOG developers subscribed individually to that team. By default, when subscribing to a team, one is subscribed to all packages belonging to that team. However, it is possible to mute specific packages through the subscription web interface [4]. In order to receive push email notifications, it is necessary to keep the "vcs" keyword active (this is the default).

Finally, the "Email on push" integration service was activated for each project in Salsa and the following address was added:

  dispatch+${package}_vcs@tracker.debian.org

Note that this task can be automated through the GitLab API, for example by using Mehdi Dogguy's emails_on_push.sh script [5].

Best,

Rafael Laboissière

[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/12/msg00001.html
[3] https://tracker.debian.org/teams/pkg-octave-team/