Re: Ioslides inside rmarkdown has no license

Hi Yihui,

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 02:32:50PM -0600, Yihui Xie wrote:

> I took over the maintenance of the rmarkdown package only recently, and I
> was not the person who introduced ioslides to the rmarkdown package. That
> said, it does seem that the ioslides library's license is missing and
> unclear. I'm not its author, so I cannot add a license to it. I guess it
> will be difficult to get in touch with its original authors.

I'm in touch with a fork author which I assumed the author and hope for
clarification[1]

> I don't quite see the benefits of making a Debian package for rmarkdown. It
> is an R package, and it is fairly easy to install from CRAN. Those who use
> R should be able to install it without sudo apt-get, and those who do not
> use R probably won't care about an R package.

I have heard this argument very frequently but it is simply wrong.  We
have some packages in Debian which internally are using R packages.  If
we do not provide this package we need to restrict the functionality of
those packages which is clearly not in our interest.

> On the other hand, I guess a
> Debian version of rmarkdown that does not have ioslides can be confusing.

I wonder whether it is conform with CRAN guidelines to have parts of
code which has no license.  According to Debian rules this is non-free
and can not be distributet.  I would be astonished if CRAN rules would
be more relaxed in this aspect.

Kind regards and thanks for your quick reply

       Andreas.

[1] https://github.com/pauldijou/ioslides/issues/1