Re: Uploaded new version 1.6 of htslib, samtools & bcftools to experimental - any known issues with reverse dependencies

So, I had a closer look at it:

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 05:23:19PM +0100, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> 1) you happily removed symbols: why so?  removing symbols is a ABI
> break, and that would usually call for a SONAME bump that upstream
> didn't do.  Those things need to be investigated singularly, what were
>  cram_stats_dump
>  debug_vbuf
>  debug_vsets

These three symbols are from fuctions that are clearly aimed at debug.
The functions do dumb fprintf() of some data structures to stderr,
clearly something that nobody would ever use in a production system.
The fuctions themselves are still there, hidden by some #ifdef.  I
reckon they were also never intended to be so widely available.
Nonetheless, that's an ABI break, and for the sake of peace of mind,
I'd re-enable them until the next SONAME bump (or anyway, the next
defined ABI break), even if they hopefully are used by nothing.

>  hopen_json_redirect

This was removed (well, replaced by hopen_htsget_redirect) with:
https://github.com/samtools/htslib/commit/7cdd5749e8054527912df184be87ac7663b01115
IMHO, that's a clear ABI break, except for the fact that happened in a
file that is clearly something that is part of some private internal.
All the other functions from the same file are static, I wonder why that
one is not.
I'd try to engage upstream for this, they were very helpfully in the
past itarations and in pointing out our packaging faults, I hope they
can be of help again.

I'm therefore CCing that guy from upstream that engaged with us the last
month.

PS: John Marshall: I hope you consider what we did to solve the issues
you pointed out with #881170 acceptable for you.  Again, please raise
your concerns if anything else is amiss!

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :