Re: Uploaded new version 1.6 of htslib, samtools & bcftools to experimental - any known issues with reverse dependencies

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 04:13:39PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> since we frequently observed issues with incompatibilities of samtools I
> uploaded the new version to experimental first.  Strictly speaking we
> should check whether a transition is needed.

Of course a transition (given the definition used by the release team)
is not needed given that there are no versioned Breaks or SONAME bumps
involved here.
Also, now htslib has a symbols file, so there is no need for shlibs
bumps or so.

Although, looking at
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/htslib.git/commit/?id=ca55c40f2a3154004d6e55eac4bdc2cdffa413b3
I noticed that:

1) you happily removed symbols: why so?  removing symbols is a ABI
break, and that would usually call for a SONAME bump that upstream
didn't do.  Those things need to be investigated singularly, what were
 cram_stats_dump
 debug_vbuf
 debug_vsets
 hopen_json_redirect
and why were they removed.  Just happily removing them from the .symbols
file is NOT acceptable.
If you did such research at the very least I'd expect to see an
explanation in the commit message
2) the version used in the new symbols should be '1.6' not '1.6-1'

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :