Re: [MoM] bandage

Hi Cédric,

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 03:28:04PM +0000, Cédric Lood wrote:

> Thanks, I have fixed the file and tested it with uscan, it seems fine now.

I confirm it is working now.  I have fixed pristine-tar branch since you
used for some reason uper case file name which is not allowed since it
needs to match the source package name.

> > (I'll just leave you this task to learn what tasks belong to proper
> > package maintenance.  I'm not sure what we decide to for the final
> > bandage package.)
>
> I did a bit of research, and what is copied in the bandage repository corresponds to a subset of the OGDF source files [0]. OGDF is meant to be a library for applications that have to draw graphs [1]. It is hard to estimate how small a subset the bandage application uses, but it seems rather limited in terms of files. After cloning OGDF, I found that the core application consists of 346 cpp files, in 50 folders. Bandage has 34 cpp files in 6 subfolders of the OGDF-specific folder - some of the files have been modified by the upstream author to fit to the bandage application.

Adapting third party code is a really bad idea.  Please try to contact
bandage upstream that it would be better if he would forward the changes
that are needed for bandage to OGDF upstream.

For the sake of keeping it simple for now I'd suggest to keep the code
copy but teach upstream anyway to possibly do the right thing in some
later version of the package.

> As for Tulip [2] , it has a plugin that allows to use the different layout algorithms provided by the OGDF library, but that seems to be about it [3]. Inspection of the source code did not reveal further files that would be related to the OGDF library (aside from this plugin).

Thanks for the clarification.

When I try to build bandage in a pbuilder chroot as recommended by
Debian Med policy I get:

   dh_auto_configure
        qmake -makefile -nocache "QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE=-g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/bandage-0.8.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" "QMAKE_CFLAGS_DEBUG=-g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/bandage-0.8.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" "QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE=-g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/bandage-0.8.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" "QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_DEBUG=-g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/bandage-0.8.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" QMAKE_LFLAGS_RELEASE=-Wl,-z,relro QMAKE_LFLAGS_DEBUG=-Wl,-z,relro QMAKE_STRIP=: PREFIX=/usr
Can't exec "qmake": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Lib.pm line 330.

It is caused by a missing Build-Depends featuring the qmake executable.
Just let me know if you need further hints regarding this issue.