Re: [MoM] bandage

Hi Andreas,

> > debian/watch

> Well, you deleted a bit to much.  The template contained some regular
> expression after this URL.  That is needed.  Please restore the rest of
> the line and replace "PREFIX" by the 'v' upstream is using.  As a
> general rule the watch file expression should match the download URL.
> You can see this in your browser.  The version number should be a
> regular expression.  You can read more about watch files in Debian
> Wiki[1].  The template in SVN is just assembling the possible watch file
> entries to enable straightforward access without consulting the Wiki.

Thanks, I have fixed the file and tested it with uscan, it seems fine now.

> BTW, OGDF is a third party code copy which is not really a good idea.
> I did a search

>   $  apt-cache search ogdf
>  libogdf-tulip-4.8-0 - Open Graph Drawing Framework shared library, built for Tulip
>  libtulip-ogdf-4.8 - Tulip graph library - OGDF runtime

> which sounds pretty close.  I have no idea what that tulip thingy might
> be.  Would you please check whether the source package of this package
> is containing the same or at least compatible source?  You can get it by

>  $ apt-cache showsrc libtulip-ogdf-4.8 | grep ^Package:

> to know in what source package it is and than

>  $ apt-get source tulip

> The name of the maintainer rings some bell in my mind since he is also a
> member of the Debian Science team.  May be this stuff might make sense
> in Debian Science.  In case the code copy of OGDF inside bandage is
> something else it might make sense to consider to package it separately
> from bandage.  Please do some research for the homepage and source that
> might be available and I'll check what might be the best way to go.

> (I'll just leave you this task to learn what tasks belong to proper
> package maintenance.  I'm not sure what we decide to for the final
> bandage package.)

I did a bit of research, and what is copied in the bandage repository corresponds to a subset of the OGDF source files [0]. OGDF is meant to be a library for applications that have to draw graphs [1]. It is hard to estimate how small a subset the bandage application uses, but it seems rather limited in terms of files. After cloning OGDF, I found that the core application consists of 346 cpp files, in 50 folders. Bandage has 34 cpp files in 6 subfolders of the OGDF-specific folder - some of the files have been modified by the upstream author to fit to the bandage application.

As for Tulip [2] , it has a plugin that allows to use the different layout algorithms provided by the OGDF library, but that seems to be about it [3]. Inspection of the source code did not reveal further files that would be related to the OGDF library (aside from this plugin).

Let me know what you think about this,

With kind regards,
Cedric

[0] https://github.com/ogdf/ogdf