Re: Galaxy project producing their own Debian packages

On 06/22/2016 11:29 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 05:07:18PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>>> Vezi Tweetul lui @natefoo:
>>> https://twitter.com/natefoo/status/743306923026440194
>>>
>>> https://depot.galaxyproject.org/nate/dpkg/
>>>
>> nice, but easy for them. Galaxy installs many things at run time from
>> remote locations (pypi and others). So not easy to fit in Debian as all
>> dependencies not to be Debian packages.
> I think we should stress the fact that not every file that has a .deb
> extension and can be installed somehow via dpkg/apt is a proper Debian
> package to our standards of quality.  It would be really great to get
> proper galaxy packages and possibly integrating the authors of those
> packages in our team to do things right would be a promissing way to
> this goal.
galaxy seems (at this moment) to be pythno 2 compliant only, not python
3. So it won't fit in Debian.

I had a quick look at their package, and they indeed embed many python
deps that woud need to be package (lots of work but why not), plus the
stuff installed from their python repo at startup.

Olivier

--
Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438