Re: insighttoolkit4 licenses & stuff

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:59:24PM +0200, Gert Wollny wrote:

> Now considering that much of the code in there is not really used I
> wonder whether for clarity of the d/copyright file it would be better
> to sacrifice the compatibility with the upstream tar ball and remove
> the code copies of those embedded libraries that are not actually
> used.
>
> It is certainly not what the DFSG-repackaging is designed for,

... but I'm using it for the same purpose to be absolutely sure that no
code copy is really used.  My personal policy for repackaged tarballs is
to move to Git to ensure that all team members are using the very same
tarball.

> but VTK
> also does it, and the alternative is a really large copyright file that
> duplicates a lot of work.

I'd vote against extra work for no practical use. :-)

> For instance the embedded GDCM carries yet
> another set of embedded libraries that are already documented in the
> GDCM package (e.g. these GDCM-embedded library copyrights are not yet
> documented in ITK).
>
> What do you think about this?

Just strip things that are unneeded.

> PS: I will be mostly off-line from tomorrow until the 19/6.

Ahhh, even longer than me. ;-)