Re: Python-pysam for unstable?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 01:14:23PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

> So I just noticed a python-pysam-tests.README.Debian. These are apparently
> not autopkgtests. As written, these are tests intended for the user to run
> after the python-pysam-tests package is installed.

Yes, that's correct.  My idea behind this was, that it might be pretty
interesting for users to reconstruct the test suite and learn from it.

> The pysam_data folder is indeed created by that package (in
> /usr/share/doc/python-pysam-tests/) and does hold the data, but I think this
> is not at all the correct way to proceed for many many reasons. So I will
> revamp the test packaging and report back.

Could you please name one or two main reasons why you think it is not
the correct way?

> However, maybe you can go ahead and upload to unstable to try to prevent
> autoremoval from testing--- the known issue here is not with the actual
> package (at least the main packages); just the arrangement of the test suite
> code. If I finish before hearing back from you, I will include it in the
> current unreleased revision.

If I upload with changes in the number of binary packages a new
processing will be needed.  This will last some time.  I would like to
understand first your reasons why you think the current method is wrong.
I used this in other packages as well for the said purpose - so I like
to know arguments against it to avoid potential problems also in these
ones.

> >So somehow we can reproduce a problem quite simple (same with python3).
>
> Thanks for shedding light on this. I always try to avoid ad-hoc methods like
> that to avoid cluttering my system, but it helps in this case.

I always have some chroot at hand for things like this ...