Re: [MoM] Re: kmer-tools

Hi, Andreas,

On الإثنين 11 أيار 2015 00:47, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 12:29:53AM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

OK, that's a fair point.  I recently had this point in the (not yet
finished) mugsy package where upstream admitted to have patched the
included code copy of mummer version 3.20 while Debian ships mummer
3.23.  I did the following:  Download mummer version 3.20 from upstream
and create a diff from mugsy's code copy.

This is basically what I proposed to do before.

Fine.  I might need to read more thoroughly than.

You already have too much to read. I should have been more concise.

So to be sure you can at least check the diff whether kmer
upstream has patched the lib to some extend.  If there is no diff you
are done - if not it might be worth inspecting it more deeply.

I will check. Like I said before, while grepping the source I found some
signs that this is likely the case.

OK, feel free to discuss the diff here in case you might be in doubt.

Will do. I found some patching going on, so I need to take a closer look and compare to the newer release.

In general:  While it makes perfectly sense to do the library packaging
"the proper way" (TM) I think we could apply some pragmatism here and
see what approach will be the more direct way to a usable package
without any practical constraints.  So if you think static libraries are
OK - at least for the moment - I have no problem if you do so.

Now that upstream has responded, I will wait to see the results of his clean-ups before continuing much further on this. Perhaps I will start another package in the meantime.

Regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي