Re: best practice to move a package to team maintainership

Hi Ghis,

I do completely support your intention to push packages under a team
maintenance. Several times I contacted maintainer directly and
proposed him to move the package under the team. Usually people are agreed
to do it.

You just have to say to maintainer, that he will be able to work on a package
as before not to scare him to loose the control under the package.

Cheers

Anton

Hi everyone,

I'd like your opinion regarding the following matter. There is a package I need an update for (h5py), which is now particularly outdated. It is currently being maintained by a solo Debian maintainer, who I contacted regarding this but has yet to reply. So I worked on my own, fixed the packaging for the latest upstream version and tested locally on my work machines.

My understanding is that, If the package were team-maintained (like hdf5 for instance), I could provide these changes and contribute to updating the package in an easier way. I am not even sure how I can forward my changes to the Debian maintainer, I am just so used to the comfort of working in Debian-science / Debian-med I guess.

My question is the following: is there a good practice for suggesting a move to team-maintainership to a solo Debian maintainer ? Via a bug report ? Mailing-list ? Direct email contact ?

Also, would that actually make sense, or am I just plain silly here ?

Cheers,
Ghis