Re: best practice to move a package to team maintainership

Hi Ghislain,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 09:34:33AM +0000, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like your opinion regarding the following matter. There is a package I
> need an update for (h5py), which is now particularly outdated. It is
> currently being maintained by a solo Debian maintainer, who I contacted
> regarding this but has yet to reply. So I worked on my own, fixed the
> packaging for the latest upstream version and tested locally on my work
> machines.

Thanks for working on this.

> My understanding is that, If the package were team-maintained (like hdf5
> for instance), I could provide these changes and contribute to updating the
> package in an easier way. I am not even sure how I can forward my changes
> to the Debian maintainer, I am just so used to the comfort of working in
> Debian-science / Debian-med I guess.
>
> My question is the following: is there a good practice for suggesting a
> move to team-maintainership to a solo Debian maintainer ? Via a bug report
> ? Mailing-list ? Direct email contact ?

I guess this is your example case:

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2015/02/msg00007.html

You might replace collab-maint by debian-science (since the package
belongs to Debian Sciense as you correctly noticed above).  When you
write a comparable mail please also mention:  "If I do not hear from you
in <time - I'd suggest one week> I assume your accept the team
maintenance in Debian Science."  Thus you are not blocked by no answer.

I know the maintainer Soeren Sonnenburg (not in person but from his work
in Debian Med).  He is nice and I think he will most probably agree -
just a bit busy and thus I "team-hijacked" an other package from him
into Debian Med (seqan).

> Also, would that actually make sense, or am I just plain silly here ?

This makes perfectly sense and is not silly at all.

Thanks for your effort

       Andreas.

PS: Feel free to quote me if you prefer to "hide" behind an older DD. :-)