best practice to move a package to team maintainership

Hi everyone,

I'd like your opinion regarding the following matter. There is a package I need an update for (h5py), which is now particularly outdated. It is currently being maintained by a solo Debian maintainer, who I contacted regarding this but has yet to reply. So I worked on my own, fixed the packaging for the latest upstream version and tested locally on my work machines.

My understanding is that, If the package were team-maintained (like hdf5 for instance), I could provide these changes and contribute to updating the package in an easier way. I am not even sure how I can forward my changes to the Debian maintainer, I am just so used to the comfort of working in Debian-science / Debian-med I guess.

My question is the following: is there a good practice for suggesting a move to team-maintainership to a solo Debian maintainer ? Via a bug report ? Mailing-list ? Direct email contact ?

Also, would that actually make sense, or am I just plain silly here ?

Cheers,
Ghis